Saturday, June 6, 2015

Shadrach-Standing Our Ground Before King Nebuchadnezzar No Matter the Cost

By Mary Vee
Daniel 3


From Shadrach's Journal




Photo Courtesy

My name is Shadrach. My friends and I have lived in Babylon for a little while. We're not Babylonians. We are Hebrews who were born in the land of Judah. 

King Nebuchadnezzar has a lot of power. His Babylonian kingdom is huge. If the king becomes angry with a person, that man would never find a way to run or hide to get away from Nebuchadnezzar or his soldiers.


King Nebuchadnezzar is very angry with my friends, Mesach, Abednego, and me. He set up a ninety foot image and ordered everyone to bow down to it. 

My friends and I have very high ranking positions even though we are slaves. We are expected to obey Nebuchadnezzar's decrees. This time we could not. We cannot bow down to any god. We will only worship the one true God.

Nebuchadnezzar yells at us for a little bit then gives us a chance to change our mind. He stands waiting for us to give him an answer. The answer he wants is that we will bow down to his god.

I speak for the three of us. "O Nebuchadnezzar, we do not need to defend ourselves before you when it comes to bowing to your image. If we are thrown into the blazing furnace, the God we serve is able to save us from it. He will rescue us from your hand, O king. But even if he does not, we want you to know, O king, that we will not serve your gods or worship the image of gold you have set up."

I look sideways at my friends. All they do is glance at me. That's all they can do with the king staring at us. I knew they agree with everything I had said.

Nebuchadnezzar isn't happy, though. His face turns a dark red and he stomps. We have lost favor in his eyes. "Heat the furnace seven times hotter than usual. And you," he called the strongest soldiers in his army to come. "Tie up Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego and throw them into the blazing furnace."

What do you think will happen? Come next Saturday to read more of the story.

*********************************************************************************************

1. Why did Nebuchadnezzar give the three Jews a second chance?
2. Do you think he gave others a second chance?
3. What did Nebuchadnezzar want the three Jews to do?
4. What did the three Jews decide to say?
5. King Nebuchadnezzar was angry or happy with their answer?
6. What did Nebuchadnezzar do with the furnace?

No comments: