Saturday, December 11, 2010

What God Taught Moses on Mt. Sinai

By Mary Vee
Exodus 25 - 31


My name is Moses. In recent days, I've been to the top of Mount Sinai several times to speak with God. He's patiently taught His rules, commands, and expectations.  I wasn't the only one He allowed up the mountain. The Lord invited Aaron, his sons Nadab and Abihu, the seventy elders of Israel, and Joshua to come part of the way on different occasions.

God called me to meet him on the mountain again today. He said He would give me tables of stone which He wrote His laws and commandments.  Not knowing how long I'd be gone, I left Aaron and Hur in charge.


I went into the cloud that sat on the mountain, and climbed to the top.  I looked forward to learning something new from Him.  He already taught me about the three celebration feasts we should hold, rules about justice and Sabbaths, and etc. I wondered what He'd teach this time.

I went to the same place I'd met with Him before.  He gave me time to rest then said we should make a tabernacle.  I agreed. Having a place to worship the Lord wold help us think of Him more often. 

He told me to ask the people to bring offerings of gold; silver; bronze; blue, purple, and scarlet thread; fine linen; goats hair; ram skins dyed red; spices; and onyx stones to be used for the Tabernacle. The people received all these things from the Egyptians three months ago. They only needed to be willing to give. He also gave me a pattern for the furniture and the tabernacle.


As God taught, I gave Him my full attention. When I didn't understand His instructions, He explained the information again. 

The pattern for the tabernacle had specific details like how many hooks should be in each curtain, the number of curtains to be hung on each side, the type of wood, how big each area should be, what to separate each area with, and who would be in charge of taking care of it.


The Lord assigned Aaron and his sons as priests then gave instructions how to make their priestly clothes. When we finished the garments, Aaron and his sons needed to follow God's ceremony preparing them to serve Him.  This would take seven days.

Next God gave me instructions how to make the furniture. Each piece had a purpose and a specific place in the tabernacle.  He told me the names of men from the camp whom He gave the Spirit of God in wisdom and understanding in knowledge and in all manner of workmanship to make what was needed.

I'm not sure exactly how long I'd been on the mountain. Quite truthfully, I hadn't noticed. Time dashed by each time I sat and listened to God.  He said He had one more instruction for me.  He talked about the importance of resting and worshiping Him on the Sabbath. The Lord reminded me He rested on the seventh day after creating the earth in six days, therefore we need to do the same.


I stood to go back down the mountain.  As I prepared to return to the Israelites, the Lord gave me two stone tablets of the Testimony, written with His own finger.  I hugged the tablets close to my body with one arm and used my staff with the other.

I enjoyed my visit with God and, in a way, wished I didn't have to leave.  On the other hand, I also enjoyed leading the Israelites and looked forward to sharing God's word with them.


************************
1. God wanted the people to make a building to worship Him. The building would be called a ________________________.
2.  What is the name of the day of rest?
3.  Since the people had been slaves, where did they get the material for the new building?
4.  What did God give Moses to take back down the mountain?
5.  If God spent time teaching Moses, what do you think He is willing to do for you?

No comments: