Monday, June 22, 2015

Amy Carmichael-No One Will Listen to You, Amy

By Mary Vee
Year: 1894 
Amy Carmichael: 27 years old


From Amy's Journal



Photo Courtesy

My name is Amy Carmichael. I am a missionary helping the Barclay Buxton family and other missionaries tell the people of Japan about the God who loves them.

About a month after two women accepted Jesus as their Savior in the nearby city of Hirose, I woke and felt in my heart that God wanted me to go there again. I felt in my heart four people would ask Jesus to be their Savior.

I told the Buxtons about my desire to go to Hirose. They and the other missionaries from nearby gathered and prayed. My translator, Misaki San sat with me and prayed for a whole day. The next morning we left for Hirose.

When we arrived I told everyone we saw on the city streets about the Bible study I would have that night. Some of the people recognized me from previous visits and nodded politely. 

The weather was cold that day and stayed cold at night. Hardly anyone came to the meeting. I wasn't disappointed, though. I still believed there were four people who wanted to ask Jesus to be their Savior, I just needed to find them before Misaki San and I returned home.

Misaki San pulled me aside after the meeting. She said, "I have heard other Christians in this city say the message we bring offends the Buddhists and keeps them from wanting to be Christians. They say we should not tell the people to get rid of their idols. They are hoping you see their wisdom in helping you."

My heart pounded. How could the other Christians say this? God specifically says in the Bible that we should not have any other gods. That included the idols in the Buddhist's homes. "No, Misaki, San. I cannot take back these teachings. I must tell them to get rid of their idols if they truly want Jesus to be their Savior."

The Japanese Christians who sat in the Bible study sighed. They knew none of the people in Hirose would listen to me if I insisted they get rid of their idols. The few men and women who attended stared blankly, politely listening, but not hearing the words. 

I began to wonder if I was wrong. I couldn't give in. I wouldn't. But I didn't know how to share God's love with men and women who wouldn't give up their idols. 

Then a woman sitting in a corner of the room said, "I want to believe." 

My heart leaped. I said a prayer, dismissed the meeting, and walked to the woman. We sat together and talked. I told her the good news of how God loves her. A few minutes later her son came into the room looking for her. Rather than say anything, he stood close and listened. Both mom and son asked Jesus to be their Savior.

I practically skipped down the city streets toward one of the Japanese Christian's homes. I wanted to tell them the good news so they would help the new Christians. 

A man opened the door. "I am so glad you came to my house. I happen to have a guest who wants to know more about the God who loves him."

Really? This is amazing! After I shared God's love with his guest, the guest asked Jesus to be his Savior. I was so excited I could barely breathe, but I knew there was a fourth person somewhere who wanted to ask Jesus to be his Savior. Misaki San and I walked back to the house where we were staying for the night. Most everyone had gone to bed. I walked to the sitting room and asked "Do you know of anyone who is interesting in asking Jesus to be their Savior?"

One man nodded. "My wife. She told me she wanted to be a Jesus person but she is out of town and won't be back for a week."

How could this be? I was sure there would be four. I went to bed and struggled to go to sleep. During the night I woke many times. I prayed for God to show me who the fourth person was. 

A knock on my door woke me. I looked out the window and saw the sunrise. A servant said, "The man's wife has returned early from her trip. She would like to speak with you."

"Really?" I quickly dressed and woke Misaki San. We went to the sitting room and met with the woman. Just as I thought, she had questions about the God who loved her. By the end of our conversation, she asked Jesus to be her Savior.

Four. An uncommon number of Japanese to ask Jesus into their heart in one visit, one full day. But God said it would be so. And it was.

I couldn't be any happier. Today was my birthday, and I received the best gift ever. Thank you, God.

Resources used for this series:
Benge, Janet, and Geoff Benge. Amy Carmichael: Rescuer of Precious Gems. Seattle, WA: YWAM Pub., 1998. Print.
Davis, Rebecca Henry. With Daring Faith: A Biography of Amy Carmichael. Greenville, SC: Bob Jones UP, 1987. Print.
Dick, Lois Hoadley. Amy Carmichael: Let the Children Come. Chicago: Moody, 1984. Print.
Meloche, Renee Taft., and Bryan Pollard. Amy Carmichael: Rescuing the Children. Seattle, WA: YWAM Pub., 2002. Print.
Wellman, Sam. Amy Carmichael: A Life Abandoned to God. Uhrichville, OH: Barbour Pub., 1998. Print.



Don't forget to comment! 
Let Amy hear from you!

No comments: