Saturday, June 13, 2015

Nebuchadnezzar-Weren't There Three Men?

By Mary Vee
Daniel 3

From Nebuchadnezzar's Chronicles


Photo Courtesy

My name is Nebuchadnezzar. I am the king of Babylon. My dominion is vast and we are powerful.

My army conquered the Jews from Judah and took them as captives. I chose a few of their smartest young men to serve in my court and gave them positions of honor. I expect a lot from them. Most of all, I expect their obedience.

The workers recently completed a ninety feet tall image of gold, as I commanded. On the dedication day, I told the musicians of horn, flute, zither, lyre, harp and all kinds of music to play at the moment I assigned. I sent out heralds ahead of time to tell the people when they heard the music they were to bow down and worship the image.

Of course the satraps, prefects, governors, and royal advisers agreed this was a great idea. The people will be brought together and will give me the respect I deserve as their king.

I went out to my balcony and watched the process. I signaled the musicians. The people from every nation and tongue bowed before the image--or so I thought. After the ceremony a few of my astrologers reported certain Jews refused to bow down. Imagine my surprise when I learned these were men I had placed in a high position in my kingdom.

How dare they defy me? My anger boiled and I ordered my guards to bring them to me. After a few minutes I managed to calm down and remember how good these men did their job. I offered them one more chance to obey my command by bowing down to the statue when the music played.

The three men refused! They said they would bow down to no other than their Jewish God. Talk about disrespect! I ordered them bound right then--and the fiery furnace pumped to seven times the heat. Even with this threat, the men would not give in. Did they really expect their God to save them from what I, King Nebuchadnezzar ordered? I think not.

My strongest soldiers bound the three men and pushed them toward the furnace. I watched from a safe distance. Those three men will be sorry they defied me, that's for sure.

The soldiers pushed them close and the door to the fiery furnace was pulled opened. A blast of heat came out in a ball of fire. The soldiers pushed Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego into the furnace. But before the soldiers could get away the fire took their lives.

I watched inside the furnace from a safe place. I wanted to witness the torment these men would suffer for disrespecting me. As I looked, though, I saw the three men standing in the midst of the flames. I called out to my advisers, "Weren't there three men that we tied up and threw into the fire?"

The advisor answered, "Certainly, O King."

"Look! I see four men walking around in the fire, unbound and unharmed, and the fourth looks like a son of the gods."

I walked to the opening of the blazing furnace and shouted, "Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego, servants of the Most High God, come out! Come here!"

I will finish this telling next time.


*********************************************************************************************

1. Nebuchadnezzar is the king of _____________

2. He ordered __________ to signal the people of his new command.

3. When the people heard the _______ they were to ___________.

4. Who did not obey the king and why?

5. Why did Nebuchadnezzar give them a second chance?

6. Why did the men refuse the second chance?

7. What did Nebuchadnezzar order?

8. What happened?

No comments: