Monday, June 1, 2015

Amy Carmichael-The Handsome Man Who Proposed

By Mary Vee
Year: 1894 
Amy Carmichael: 27 years old


From Amy's Journal

Photo Courtesy

My name is Amy Carmichael. I am a missionary helping Barclay Buxton and his family tell the people of Japan about the God who loves them.

During my short missionary time in England and here in Japan, several men--English and American--have asked me to marry them.


I must be fair, all of them have been handsome and kind men who love God. But I know that mission boards have a rule. After a certain time, a missionary man must be married in order to continue receiving the support money from the people back home.

In truth, I don't want to be that kind of wife. One who stays at home and takes care of the house while the husband goes out and shares God's love with the people. There is this energy in me that can't be stopped. And thoughts of how I could help these people learn about the God who loves them.

I see nothing wrong with getting married, and if God whispers in my heart that He wants me to help a man with his missionary work by becoming his wife, I would.

But He hasn't told me. 

A very handsome man proposed to me last week. I honestly didn't know what to do. He is nice and kind and.... 

There is a mountain nearby where missionaries go to spend time alone with God. I went there and found a cave. A place to keep me from being distracted by the lovely flowers and and mountains to focus on talking with God.

As I stand in the cave, thoughts came to me. Ones that paint pictures of how lonely I would be when I get older if I don't marry. They are terrible pictures. I don't want to be lonely, but I also want to spend my time telling people about the God who loves them.

I cry out to God, "What do you want me to do?"

And then I know. The pictures of loneliness fade away and God speaks to me. "No one who trusts in me will be desolate."

The heavy question of loneliness has disappeared. I know what God wants me to do. Follow the real desire of my heart, which is to serve God as a missionary. Not get married.

I ride back to the town so happy, ready to continue my Japanese studies and sharing the good news that God loves with the people.

Come back next time. I have much more to share!


Resources used for this series:
Benge, Janet, and Geoff Benge. Amy Carmichael: Rescuer of Precious Gems. Seattle, WA: YWAM Pub., 1998. Print.
Davis, Rebecca Henry. With Daring Faith: A Biography of Amy Carmichael. Greenville, SC: Bob Jones UP, 1987. Print.
Dick, Lois Hoadley. Amy Carmichael: Let the Children Come. Chicago: Moody, 1984. Print.
Meloche, Renee Taft., and Bryan Pollard. Amy Carmichael: Rescuing the Children. Seattle, WA: YWAM Pub., 2002. Print.
Wellman, Sam. Amy Carmichael: A Life Abandoned to God. Uhrichville, OH: Barbour Pub., 1998. Print.



Don't forget to comment! 
Let Amy hear from you!

No comments: