Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Jeremiah-Sprung from the Dungeon

By Mary Vee
Jeremiah 37



From Jeremiah's Journal



Photo Courtesy
My name is Jeremiah. I am a prophet, a person sent from God to give messages to the Israelites who still live in Jerusalem. There aren't many of us.

I've been in a vaulted cell of a dungeon for a long time. A few officials didn't like the messages I told them from God and talked the king into putting me into prison. This has not been the first time, and I have a feeling it won't be the last.

One day, King Zedekiah surprised me by asking his official to bring me to his chambers. The officials let me clean my face and wash up before I went to see him.

The king offered me a chair to sit then asked the guards to leave. We sat alone in the room. He spoke softly to me to make sure no one in the corridor could hear our conversation. 

"Is there any word from the Lord?"

I found his question amazing. Here he allowed the officials to throw me in the dungeon for a long time because they did not like the messages from the Lord and now he is asking me to tell him more?

I answered, "Yes. You will be handed over to the king of Babylon."

I took the opportunity to defend myself and said, "What crime have I committed against you or your officials or the people of Judah? Why have you put me in prison so long. Where are your prophets who prophesied to you? You know, the ones who said the king of Babylon would not attack this land? They were wrong weren't they? Just as God said.

"But now, oh king, please listen to my request. Do not send me back to the house of Jonathan or I will die there."

King Zedekiah took a drink and set his glass back down. "All right."

He called for the guards. "Jeremiah is not to be returned to Jonathan's house. He is to be placed in the courtyard of the guard and given bread from the street of the bakers each day until all the bread in the city is gone."


Photo Courtesy
The guard didn't look very pleased about his orders, but he obeyed. I'm still guarded like a prisoner, but at least I'm not locked in a terrible dungeon. 

From this place I saw people who came in and went out of the court. I told every man and woman the message from God. "Whoever stays in this city will die by the sword, famine, or plague. But whoever goes over to the Babylonians will live. He will escape with his life. He will live. This city will certainly be handed over to the army of the king of Babylon who will capture it. This is what the Lord says.


Come back next time see what happened.

*********************************************************************************************

1.  Where was Jeremiah held as prisoner?
2.  Why was he there?
3.  Why did the king call Jeremiah to his chambers?
4.  What did Jeremiah ask for?
5.  Did the king give it to him

No comments: