Saturday, April 4, 2015

Jeremiah-Falsely Accused

By Mary Vee
Jeremiah 37



From Jeremiah's Journal


Photo Courtesy
My name is Jeremiah. I am a prophet, a messenger sent from God to give messages to the Israelites who remain in Jerusalem.

I was set free from prison not long ago then went about the city and the countryside telling the people messages from God.

King Zedekiah sent a priest and a messenger to me. The message said, "Please pray to the Lord our God for us."

Of course I would.

Let me bring you up to date what is happening here. Pharaoh's army had marched out of Egypt to attack King Nebuchadnezzar's Babylonian army. When the Babylonians heard the news, they stopped attacking Jerusalem and set out to fight the Egyptians.

God gave me a message to reply to King Zedekiah. "Tell the king of Judah, Pharaoh's army, which has marched out to support you, will go back to its own land, to Egypt. Then the Babylonians will return and attack this city. They will capture it and burn it down.

"Don't fool yourselves into thinking the Babylonians will not return. They will! Even if you were to defeat the entire Babylonian army that is attacking you at this moment and only wounded men were left in their tents, they would come out and burn this city down."


Photo Courtesy
Once the last of the Babylonian army left to attack the Egyptians, just as God said, I left Jerusalem and walked to the land I had purchased. The land was in the territory of Benjamin. When I reached the city gate, though, the captain of the guard arrested me. He yelled at me, "You are deserting to the Babylonians."

I have no idea where he got that idea. "That's not true! I'm not deserting to the Babylonians." 

The guard refused to listen and once again, I was arrested and taken to the officials. This time they beat me and threw me in a prison at Jonathan's house. The prison was a dungeon. King Zedekiah left me there for a long time.

It was cold, smelly, dark, had nasty food, and I didn't like it at all. Sigh.

Come back next time see what happened.

*********************************************************************************************

1.  Where is Jeremiah and where is he?
2.  What army set out to attack the Babylonians?
3.  Why did the Babylonian army stop attacking Jerusalem?
4.  Once the soldiers left, Jeremiah went to ________
5.  What did the captain accuse Jeremiah of?
6.  This was not true. But, the captain wouldn't listen to Jeremiah. Instead he took Jeremiah to __________

No comments: