Monday, April 27, 2015

Amy Carmichael-Alone in A Foreign Country and Soaking Wet

By Mary Vee
Year: 1893 
Amy Carmichael: 26 years old


From Amy's Journal



My name is Amy. 

Traveling seems like a lot of fun at first. 

When the journey takes months, though, a few breaks makes the trip a lot easier. 

Three missionary ladies sailed with me from England to the island of Ceylon. We rested then set sail for Shanghai. This was where the missionary ladies would work. I spent several days in Shanghai at the China Inland Mission waiting for a letter from the missionaries in Japan who needed my help.

I was both excited to get the letter to be on my way, and happy to rest in the missionary's home in China.

The letter finally arrived one afternoon. I packed my belongings and said goodbye to the kind missionaries who took care of me then boarded the Yokohama Maru for Shimonoseki, Japan. Compared to my journey so far, this should be a short ride. Only 581miles. 

The sun shone and the sea was calm. This would be an easy trip across the sea. I hadn't suffered any sea sickness the whole journey from England. The gentle seas should keep my stomach happy.


Photo Courtesy



We hadn't left shore very long before a terrible storm appeared on the horizon. The captain shouted orders to his crew in a language I couldn't understand. 











Photo Courtesy



The waves grew taller, rocking the ship. Rain fell on the deck with such force it soaked my clothes in seconds. I went below deck to keep from being tossed overboard. 











Photo Courtesy

As we reached the city of Shimonoseki, Japan, the captain shook his head. He did not want to bring the ship close to shore for fear we would crash.

A tug boat sailed out to us and pulled close to the side. All the passengers held tight to the ropes as the crew lowered us on to the tug boat. 





As soon as the last passenger landed on the deck of the tug, it set sail for the shore. I couldn't understand any of the words, but the meaning seemed clear. Danger.

The tug bounced up and down and side to side. I grabbed onto metal to keep from being thrown to the deck. The captain pulled the tug close to the shore and tied the boat to a dock. 

The other passengers picked up their belongings and walked down the dock to the shore. No one said a word to me. 

I expected to be greeted by the English missionary. There were no English faces in the crowds. The rain poured, dripping off my hat and soaking my dress and my shoes. I didn't know what to do.

"Can anyone speak English?" I shouted.

No one answered me.

"I'm Amy Carmichael. Can anyone help me?" I yelled over the sound of the storm.

No one answered me. I sat on my trunk and let the rain drench me. 

Alone. In a foreign country. Unable to speak the language. And soaking wet.

Sigh.

Come back next time. I have much more to share!


Resources used for this series:
Benge, Janet, and Geoff Benge. Amy Carmichael: Rescuer of Precious Gems. Seattle, WA: YWAM Pub., 1998. Print.
Davis, Rebecca Henry. With Daring Faith: A Biography of Amy Carmichael. Greenville, SC: Bob Jones UP, 1987. Print.
Dick, Lois Hoadley. Amy Carmichael: Let the Children Come. Chicago: Moody, 1984. Print.
Meloche, Renee Taft., and Bryan Pollard. Amy Carmichael: Rescuing the Children. Seattle, WA: YWAM Pub., 2002. Print.
Wellman, Sam. Amy Carmichael: A Life Abandoned to God. Uhrichville, OH: Barbour Pub., 1998. Print.



Don't forget to comment! 
Let Amy hear from you!

No comments: