Monday, April 13, 2015

Amy Carmichael-Ceylon, What a Beautiful Island

By Mary Vee
Year: 1893 
Amy Carmichael: 26 years old


From Amy's Journal


Photo Courtesy
My name is Amy. 

I can't believe it. I'm so excited.

The three missionary ladies I traveled with from England led the way down the gang plank and onto the dock. Where were we? Our first port happened to be the island of Ceylon near the country of India. 

How exciting! After growing up and never leaving England and Wales before, I feel like I've stepped into a brand new world.

Crowds of men, women, and children filled nearly every inch of the streets. Their skin a soft brown and their hair black. What also amazed me was the color of their eyes. Everyone had brown eyes--beautiful brown eyes that God gave them, just like mine. I couldn't help but laugh, and let a tear fall as I remembered all the times I begged God for blue eyes. God truly knows what is best.

Photo Courtesy
The three ladies and I climbed onto rickshaws and rode through the city streets to the nearby mission.

Beautiful tall palm trees swayed in the hot breeze. The humidity in the air was so thick I almost felt like I swam through a lake. Hot. Sticky. Humid. So different from what I was used to.

The scents in the air surprised me. Some spice. What was it? Cumin? 

Storeowners called out for people to come buy their products. Bells rang, people walked in front of the rickshaws, sacks of grain lines the markets, and venders work to make more items to sell. I've never seen so many people hustle from here to there.

Photo Courtesy

The women's clothes had bright colors, flowers in the gardens and the buildings had bold colors, too. The women wore glittery jewelry and silk scarves. Their dresses were lovely.

The trees, people, smells, everything seemed so different from England. I wanted to see more. 

When we arrived at the mission, we sat at a table filled with hot breakfast foods which had been prepared for us. 

After we finished our meal, we sat around the organ and sang hymns, praising our Lord. The missionaries working there asked me to come back sometime to play the organ again.

I never expected the journey to be so exciting! And this is only my first port. I'll sail on to China when my next ship leaves.


Come back next time. I have much more to share!


Resources used for this series:
Benge, Janet, and Geoff Benge. Amy Carmichael: Rescuer of Precious Gems. Seattle, WA: YWAM Pub., 1998. Print.
Davis, Rebecca Henry. With Daring Faith: A Biography of Amy Carmichael. Greenville, SC: Bob Jones UP, 1987. Print.
Dick, Lois Hoadley. Amy Carmichael: Let the Children Come. Chicago: Moody, 1984. Print.
Meloche, Renee Taft., and Bryan Pollard. Amy Carmichael: Rescuing the Children. Seattle, WA: YWAM Pub., 2002. Print.
Wellman, Sam. Amy Carmichael: A Life Abandoned to God. Uhrichville, OH: Barbour Pub., 1998. Print.



Don't forget to comment! 
Let Amy hear from you!

No comments: