Saturday, March 21, 2015

Jeremiah-One Day We Will All Come Home

By Mary Vee
Jeremiah 32



From Jeremiah's Journal


Photo Courtesy
My name is Jeremiah. I am a prophet, a messenger sent from God.

You may have noticed that some of the stories in this series are from the prophet Ezekiel and some are written from me.

Ezekiel is the prophet God is giving messages to in Babylon where many of the Israelites were taken captive.

I am the prophet God is giving messages to in Jerusalem where some of the people were left behind. So today, you are back in Jerusalem with me.

Zedekiah was allowed to remain king to the few people left here in Jerusalem--as long as he did what King Nebuchadnezzar of Babylon wanted. Well, he chose to disobey and rebelled against Nebuchadnezzar. God gave me several messages to deliver to Zedekiah warning him not to do that. But he didn't listen.

Nebuchadnezzar sent his army to destroy Jerusalem because of Zedekiah's rebellion. While the army attacked, I was put in prison in the courtyard of the guard in the royal palace. I couldn't hide. I was locked up. Zedekiah put me in prison because he didn't like the messages I gave him from God.

Zedekiah said, "Why do you give messages from God as you do? You say, 'This is what the Lord says, 'I am about to hand this city over to the king of Babylon, and he will capture it. Zedekiah king of Judah will not escape out of the hands of the Babylonians but will certainly be handed over to the king of Babylon. He will speak with him face to face and see him with his own eyes. He will take Zedekiah to Babylon where he will remain until I deal with him, says the Lord. If you fight against the Babylonians, you will not succeed.'"

He walked away from me and there I stayed in prison.

But this isn't the end. God spoke to me and said my uncle would come and asks me to buy his field.
Photo Courtesy

Then, just as the Lord said, my uncle visited me in prison and asked me to buy his field. Since he did exactly as the Lord said I answered, "Yes, I will buy your field." I gave him the money and signed the deed. I gave the deed to Baruch, my scribe, in front of many witnesses. 

"See?" I told everyone near. "This is what the Lord Almighty, the God of Israel says. "Take these documents, both the sealed and unsealed copies of the deed of land purchase and put them in a clay jar so they will last a long time. Houses, fields, and vineyards will again be bought in this land by our people. We will, all our people will, one day be able to come back home."

I can only keep trying to give God's messages. Maybe some of the people will listen.

*******************************************************************************************************

1. Where is Ezekiel a prophet?
2. Where is Jeremiah a prophet?
3. Who is king in Jerusalem?
4. Why did the king put Jeremiah in prison?
5. Who came to visit Jeremiah in prison?
6. What did Jeremiah buy? Why did he buy it?


No comments: