Monday, March 16, 2015

Amy Carmichael-God said, "Go."

By Mary Vee
Year: 1887 
Amy Carmichael: 20 year old


From Amy's Journal


Photo Courtesy Amy's family moved from the
rich city of Millisle to a poor section of Belfast
My name is Amy. I used to live in Belfast. My father had loaned much of our money to a family members. The person said they would pay it back shortly, but never did.

Soon the remaining savings was used for paying bills. We couldn't afford to stay in our home and we couldn't find jobs in our city. My mother, sister, and I moved to England to look for jobs

I missed leading the Bible study in Belfast with the factory girls, called shawlies.

But, people need money to pay bills. Fortunately, a man named Mr. Jacob, who happened to know my father, heard about our need and made sure we found work.

After I started working at the factory, Mr. Jacob said, "I heard you conducted a Bible study for the shawlies in Belfast."

"Yes, that's right."

"Would you consider starting one for the factory girls here?"

I loved the idea! Right away I looked for an apartment near the factory. A place where girls would come for the Bible studies. The only apartment nearby was rather dirty. I refused to let the filth discouraged me. 

I cleaned the apartment until it shined. Unfortunately, rats and bugs kept coming back. The whole building needed a thorough cleaning, and I had only rented one room. There was nothing I could do. I at least found a way to protect my food.

During our free time, Mom, my sister, and I visited Mr. Wilson, a long time friend of the family who lived at the Keswick center. His wife had died recently and his daughter died when she was my age. We  found ways to make him laugh, read to him, and keep him company. He taught us many Bible truths.

Living in the rat apartment and working long hours to pay the bills caused me to become too ill to work or have the Bible studies. Mr. Wilson insisted I move into a room in his house where I could receive medical care. His three sons were not happy about the idea, though. They said I came to steal their inheritance. This, of course, wasn't true.

I lived at Mr. Wilson's house for three years, doing chores and studying the Bible. I learned so much about God and wanted to serve Him. After a while, I felt God telling me to become a missionary in a far away land. I didn't know where, but somewhere. 

I spent time in conversation with God. I said, "Lord, I don't think you really want me to go to the mission field even though you have put the idea in my heart." I grabbed a piece of paper and kept talking with God. "Here are my reasons: 1. My mother needs me to be with her. 2. Mr. Wilson depends on my caring for him--he is so sickly. 3. I could be an encouragement to others who really should go to the mission field. 4. I am sickly, myself. You really don't want a sick person to go to the mission field, do you?"

I didn't know what to do. My head said not to go to the mission field, but my heart said go. I went to the sitting room where Mr. Wilson was. "I have a problem. I think God is calling me to be a missionary." I explained to him all the reasons it was a ridiculous idea.

Mr. Wilson pushed his glasses up and said, "The Bible says, Go. So, you should go."

I knew then what I should do. Come back next time. I have much more to share!


Resources used for this series:
Benge, Janet, and Geoff Benge. Amy Carmichael: Rescuer of Precious Gems. Seattle, WA: YWAM Pub., 1998. Print.
Davis, Rebecca Henry. With Daring Faith: A Biography of Amy Carmichael. Greenville, SC: Bob Jones UP, 1987. Print.
Dick, Lois Hoadley. Amy Carmichael: Let the Children Come. Chicago: Moody, 1984. Print.
Meloche, Renee Taft., and Bryan Pollard. Amy Carmichael: Rescuing the Children. Seattle, WA: YWAM Pub., 2002. Print.
Wellman, Sam. Amy Carmichael: A Life Abandoned to God. Uhrichville, OH: Barbour Pub., 1998. Print.



Don't forget to comment! 
Let Amy hear from you!

No comments: