Monday, March 30, 2015

Amy Carmichael-I Flunked the Physical

By Mary Vee
Year: 1893 
Amy Carmichael: 26 years old


From Amy's Journal


Photo Courtesy- Sea of Japan
My name is Amy. 

Last week I wrote the good news I'd received from Hudson Taylor's mission the China Inland Mission. He has agreed to accept me as a missionary candidate!


There was much to do! I had to go to the China Inland Missions office in London then begin my training to learn Chinese, how to act, how to dress, and how to eat as a Chinese person. These are important skills because I didn't want to offend any of the Chinese people. Who would listen to me share the good news of God's love if I offended them? Right. No one.

I took my bags and moved into the mission's quarters, ready to begin my training. One of the first steps was a visit to the doctor. The people who run China Inland Mission know how difficult survival is in China, especially for missionaries not use to the weather, water, food, and diseases. 

I knew I had been sickly, but still felt strong enough to do the work. A bubbly spirit grew inside of me, ready to sail for China on the first available ship!

The day after I saw the doctor, a woman from the mission came to me with a sad face. "I'm sorry, Amy. You have not passed your physical. We cannot allow you to go to China."

I hardly knew what to say. There must have been a mistake. I went back to Mr. Wilson's house and told him what happened. He was delighted to see me and happy I could return to my duties. After a few days, though, he saw my broken heart. 

I prayed everyday for God to show me where He wanted me to serve Him. I now understood China was not the place. I didn't know where God wanted me to go until one morning when the country of Japan popped into my mind. Could God be telling me I should go to Japan?

The next day, and this made me laugh, Mr. Wilson called for me. "I have received a letter from a mission that is asking for missionaries in Japan. What do you think of going to Japan?"

"Oh, Mr. Wilson." I jumped for joy. "I was just thinking about Japan!"

"Very well," he said. "I will write a letter to the mission for you and we'll see what happens."

Nearly a whole year had passed since I first thought God wanted me to go to China. The excitement inside my heart built so much I couldn't wait for a reply from the Japanese Mission any longer. 

I heard two women from China Inland Mission planned to leave on a ship in a short time. I asked if I could travel with them to Shanghai in China. By then I should hear of my acceptance to work with the Japanese mission. I planned to sail from Shanghai across the Sea of Japan to Japan. This sounded like a fantastic plan.

I paid for my ticket with what few funds I had saved, packed my bags and said goodbye to my mother, five sisters and brothers, and Mr. Wilson. 

Eeeeee! I can't wait!

Come back next time. I have much more to share!


Resources used for this series:
Benge, Janet, and Geoff Benge. Amy Carmichael: Rescuer of Precious Gems. Seattle, WA: YWAM Pub., 1998. Print.
Davis, Rebecca Henry. With Daring Faith: A Biography of Amy Carmichael. Greenville, SC: Bob Jones UP, 1987. Print.
Dick, Lois Hoadley. Amy Carmichael: Let the Children Come. Chicago: Moody, 1984. Print.
Meloche, Renee Taft., and Bryan Pollard. Amy Carmichael: Rescuing the Children. Seattle, WA: YWAM Pub., 2002. Print.
Wellman, Sam. Amy Carmichael: A Life Abandoned to God. Uhrichville, OH: Barbour Pub., 1998. Print.



Don't forget to comment! 
Let Amy hear from you!

No comments: