Saturday, August 31, 2013

Elijah Delivers God's Message to Ahab

By Mary Vee
I Kings 21

From Elijah's Journals

The Lord spoke to me this morning. He said, "Go down and meet Ahab, king of Israel, the one who rules Samaria. He is now in Naboth's vineyard where he has gone to take possession of it."

Ahab had done something very bad and now he would hear his punishment from the Lord.

I went to Naboth's vineyard and found Ahab standing there. Celebrating his new vineyard. I requested to speak to the king.

Ahab nodded to the messenger. "Yes, bring him to me." 

I walked close to the king and looked in his eyes for a moment. The man had eyes of delight that he had no right to have. But after a moment, Ahab's eyes lost their spark. "What did you come to bother me about this time, Elijah?"

"I have a message from the Lord for you."

Ahab turned to those standing around him and laughed. "So you have found me, my enemy!"

"I have found you, yes." I answered. 

"Well, then, speak your message."

"Because you have sold yourself to do evil in the eyes of the Lord He will bring disaster on you. He will consume your descendants and cut off from you every last male in Israel--slave or free. He will make your house like that of Jeroboam son of Nebat and that of Baasha son of Ahijah, because you have provoked Him to anger and have caused Israel to sin." 

I turned to Jezebel. "And also, concerning Jezebel, the Lord said, "Dogs will devour you by the wall of Jezreel."

I finished my message by turning back to king Ahab, "Dogs will eat those belonging to Ahab who die in the city, and the birds of the air will feed on those who die in the country."

Ahab's eyes grew quite wide. He looked at the vineyard and back at me. He tore his cloths and put on sackcloth and fasted. He hung his head low and walked in meekness. He did this for days.

I had returned to my home where I received another message from the Lord. He said, "Have you noticed how Ahab has humbled himself before me? Because he has humbled himself, I will not bring this disaster in his day, but I will bring it on his house in the days of his son."

I returned to the palace and told the king the message. 

*****************************
photo courtesy of christianimagesource.com

1. Where did the Lord tell Elijah to go?
2. Who was Elijah to speak to?
3. What message did Elijah give?
4. Why did Ahab wear sackcloth and fast?
5. When God saw Ahab wearing sackcloth and fasting what did He say?

No comments: