Saturday, August 3, 2013

Ahab- Attacked by Greedy Ben-Haddad

By Mary Vee
I Kings 20


From King Ahab's Scrolls


I am the king of Israel. Ben Haddad is the king of Aram and a very greedy man. He recently threatened to wage war unless we paid his asking price, our silver, gold, all my wives, and children. 

I was frightened. What can I say? I handed over all the silver and gold from the treasury and then told my wives and children they must go with him, too. 

Fool that I was, Ben-Haddad saw my fear and sent another messenger who said, "My master demands your silver and gold, your wives and your children. But about this time tomorrow I am going to send my officials to search your palace and the houses of your officials. They will take everything that is important to you."

This last demand went too far.

I called all the elders of the land for a meeting and said, "Ben-Haddad is a trouble maker. When he sent for my gold, silver, wives, and children I didn't refuse. I gave him everything he asked. Now he wants to raid all the palace and official quarters?"

The elders whispered amongst each other saying, "No. Don't listen to him or agree to his demands. He must be stopped."

I agreed with them and called Ben-Haddad messengers to my chambers. "Tell king Ben-Haddad I was willing to do all he demanded the first time, but this demand was too much." I dismissed the messengers to deliver my words.

Not long after, another messenger came from Ben-Haddad. "May the gods deal with me severely if enough dust remains in Samaria to give each of my men a handful."

Threaten me? He had the nerve to threaten the king of Israel? "Tell your master, this: 'One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.'"

My scout, who followed the messenger reported back to me. "King Ahab, the messenger delivered your message as you asked. Ben-Haddad was at a party drinking. He became very angry when he heard your message. He threw down his cup and shouted, "Prepare to attack." I ran back to you before they captured me.

I didn't know for sure what should be done. As I dismissed the messenger a prophet requested to seem me. I hoped he would have the answer I needed. "Yes, send him in."

The prophet bowed. "The Lord has said, 'Do you know Ben-Haddad's vast army? I will give it into your hands today and then you will know I am the Lord.'"

The news was good, but I had questions about this message. "Who will conquer the his army?"

The prophet answered, "The Lord says, 'The young officers of the commanders will do it.'"

I understood but I had more questions. "Who will start the battle?"

The prophet answered, "You will."

Come back next time and I will tell you what happened at the battle.

********************************** 

photo courtesy of Christianimagesource.com

1.  Ahab is the king of ____________
2.  Ben-Haddad is the king of ___________
3.  Who sent a messenger to king Ahab?
4.  What was the first message?
5.  What was the second message?
6.  King Ahab did as he was asked for the first demand. What did he do for the second?
7.  Who delivered a message from the Lord, and what did God say?


No comments: