Saturday, August 24, 2013

Ahab- Naboth Beautiful Vineyard

By Mary Vee 
I Kings 21

From Naboth's Journal

There had been a terrible draught in our country, for three long years. Those of us who remained faithful to the Lord knew God held back the rains to punish the evil deeds done by king Ahab. But when the Almighty restored the rains recently, my vineyard bounced back to life.

I loved getting out of bed, rushing to my fields and sinking my fingers into the soil. I pruned the dead and weak vegetation, watered, and weeded the land. This tender care paid off. The plants grew strong and flower blossoms multiplied. This is sure to be the best crop I've ever had.

Late in the morning, I received an unusual visitor. The royal chariots approached my home. It made such a clatter my whole family could't help but notice. I told my wife to stay inside, and went out to greet the king. 

I bowed as his chariot came to a stop. "Your majesty."

He stayed in his chariot, standing high above me. "Let me buy your vineyard to use for a vegetable garden, since it is close to my palace. In exchange I will give you a better vineyard or, if you prefer, I will pay you whatever it is worth."

I didn't have to think even for a second. I could be a rich man if I accepted the king's offer, but  my heart would be sad every day of my remaining life. We don't have much, barely enough to survive, but we do have this land. My father plowed these fields and gave it to me for an inheritance. Our family has worked hard to produce the best crops possible. We never slacked in watering, weeding, planting; we love this land. No, I couldn't sell it to the king.

"I'm sorry, your majesty. I cannot give you the inheritance of my fathers."

The king didn't say anything and I didn't need to look up at his face to see his anger. Everyone knew of his uncontrollable temper. And the worst response from him was no sound. I am sure he will go to Queen Jezebel like a child complaining they didn't get their favorite toy. I fear something awful will happen.

This I know, God has placed in my heart not to sell this land, and I will obey God, no matter what the result.

********************************
photo courtesy of visualbiblealive.com

1. What did Naboth love to do?
2. After the rains, Naboth was able to ___________
3. Who was the unusual visitor?
4. What did the visitor want?
5. What did Naboth answer?
6. Why?
7. What did Naboth know would happen.
8. Was he sorry about his decision?

No comments: