Saturday, July 27, 2013

Elijah, God Spoke in a Still Small Voice

By Mary Vee
I Kings 19

From Elijah's Scrolls

The bread and water given to me from the angel and the sleep I had restored my strength to push forward and walk forty days and forty nights until I reached Horeb, the mountain of God.

There I found cool air and a cave to sleep in for the night.

The next morning I awoke to a voice. "What are you doing here, Elijah?"

I realized immediately it was the Lord speaking so I answered, "I have been very zealous for the Lord God Almighty. The Israelites have rejected your covenant, broken down your altars, and put your prophets to death with the sword. I am the only one left and now they are trying to kill me too."

My legs could barely hold me. I wanted to hide in the cave forever and not speak to anyone. 

The Lord said, "Go out and stand on the mountain in the presence of the Lord, for I am about to pass by."

Outside the cave a great and powerful wind tore the mountains apart and shattered the rocks. But the Lord was not in the wind.

An earthquake shook the ground, but the Lord was not in the earthquake.

As the earthquake stopped, fire burst into the air, but the Lord was not in the fire. 

When the fire ceased, I heard a gentle whisper. A whispered that frightened me. I pulled my cloak over my face and walked out to the mouth of the cave. There I heard the same voice saying, "What are you doing here, Elijah?"

I kept the cloak over my head and repeated my answer, "I have been very zealous for the Lord God Almighty. The Israelites have rejected your covenant, broken down your altars, and put your prophets to death with the sword. I am the only one left, and now they are trying to kill me too."

The Lord said," Go back the way you came, and go the the Desert of Damascus. When you get there:

1. Anoint Hazael king over Aram. 
2. Also anoint Jehu, son of Nimshi king over Israel, and 
3. Anoint Elisha, son of Shaphat to succeed you as prophet. 

Jehu will put to death any who escape the sword of Hazael, and Elisha will put to death all who escape the sword of Jehu. Yet, I have reserved seven thousand in Israel--all whose knees have not bowed down to Baal and all whose mouths have not kissed him."

I hurried back into the cave, grabbed my staff and left right away, as the Lord commanded.

*******************************************
Photo courtesy of Christianimagesource.com

1. Where did Elijah go?
2. What did God ask him?
3. What did God say when Elijah told Him he was the only one left?
4. The Lord was not in the __________, ___________, or the ____________
5. The Lord spoke with a ________________
6. God told Elijah to anoint ___________, _____________, and ___________

No comments: