Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Ahab-Elijah Runs for His Life

By Mary Vee
I Kings 18


From Elijah's Notes


A messenger from Jezebel found me and presented her message. She said she would kill me by this time tomorrow. 

I admit, I was afraid.

That woman was vicious. I didn't wait for the messenger to leave my hiding place. I grabbed my cloak, staff, and ran out the door. My servant kept up with me as we ran to Beersheba in Judah. I took a quick break to catch my breath and drink some water.

Beersheba would not be a good place for me to hide either. I had but one choice. Flee to the desert. I told my servant to stay in Beersheba where he could find food, water, and shelter, and not to follow me. 

From there I journeyed, running most of the time into the desert. I came to a broom tree. My legs could carry me no farther. I didn't have the strength to search for food or water. All I could do was sit under the tree and pray. "Lord, I have had enough. Please, take my life. I am no better than my ancestors."

I remember falling over and not caring about the hard ground where my head rested. For a time, that was all I remembered.

I felt someone touching me. I opened my eyes and found an angel standing over me. He said, "Get up and eat." 

I didn't want to. More sleep seemed like the better idea, but my heart told me to obey the angel. I looked around and there, by my head, was a cake of bread baked over hot coals and a jar of water. It looked and smelled delicious. I grabbed the bread, stuffed it into my mouth, and barely chewed before swallowing then took the water and poured it into my mouth so fast it dripped down my face. It tasted cool, refreshing, and moistened my lips.

I could do no more. I'm sorry to say I didn't even say thank you for the food. I lay back down and fell asleep.

I don't know how much time passed, but the same angel woke me again. He said, "Get up and eat, for the journey is too much for you."

I sat up and ate the bread and drank all the water. This time my strength returned enough to let me stand. The only reason for the angel to give urgent instructions was to get me moving for my safety. I picked up my staff and cloak and continued my journey in the desert.

God has done so much for me. He put in Jezebel's heart to send a messenger instead of a band of soldiers. He gave me strength to run to Beersheba and find a safe place for my servant. He helped me journey to a place where I could sleep safely under a tree. He sent an angel to give me food and drink two times. And now he has sent me on my way to hide from Jezebel.

Praise be to the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob for He has protected me.

*******************************************
photo courtesy of christianimagesource.com

1. What did the messenger tell Elijah? Who sent the messenger?
2. Who is Jezebel and why was Elijah afraid of her?
3. Where did Elijah take his servant for safety?
4. Where did Elijah find a broom tree?
5. Who woke Elijah and served him fresh baked bread and water?
6. What did the angel tell Elijah the second time?

No comments: