Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Ahab- The Proof is in the Fire

By Mary Vee
I Kings 18


From Elijah's Journals


I sent Obadiah with a message to king Ahab to meet me. Obadiah was afraid to repeat my words to the king, thinking Ahab would kill him. I reassured him of his safety and sent him on his way.

It wasn't too long before Ahab and his guards came over the hill. He saw me from a distance and called out, "Is that you, you troubler of Israel?"

It wasn't the best greeting I've had. "I have not made trouble for Israel," I replied. "But you and your father's family have. You've abandoned the Lord's commands to worship the Baals."

He smirked at me. 

The Lord commanded me to show proof of His almighty power. Despite all the bad we do, God constantly chooses to show His love to us in whatever way best communicates the message. Ahab didn't deserve the proof I was about to offer. Still, I had to follow God's commands.

"Ahab, summon the people from all over Israel to meet me on Mount Carmel. Bring the four hundred and fifty prophets of Baal and the four hundred prophets of Asherah who eat at Jezebel's table."

Ahab folded his arms and squinted. "I am intrigued with what you are about to do. Remember, Elijah, I have you surrounded, so no tricks."

I didn't bother to answer him. He ordered his soldiers to send my message throughout Israel. When they left, I walked to Mount Carmel and waited for the people to arrive. The prophets, too, were assembled. 

I stood on a high platform and raised my hands to gain the attention of all who came. They silenced and looked at me with curiosity. "How long will you waver between two opinions? If the Lord is God, follow him; but if Baal is God, follow him." 

The people stood still, not saying a word.

How disappointing. After all God had done for them, given to them,and the protection he provided daily. I sighed. "I am the only one of the Lord's prophets left, but Baal has four hundred and fifty prophets. I propose a challenge. Get two bulls for us. Let the prophets of Baal chose one for themselves. The prophets are to cut the meat into pieces and put it on the wood but not set fire to it. 

"I will prepare the other bull and put it on the wood, but not set fire to it. Then you prophets of Baal, call on the name of your god, and I will call on the name of the Lord. The god who answers by fire--he is God."

The people looked at each other and nodded. "This is a good idea. Go ahead."

Come back next time to see what happens to the sacrifices.

*******************************************
photo courtesy of christianimagesources.com

1.  Who was afraid to speak to the king?
2.  Ahab called Elijah a _____________
3.  Elijah wanted to prove what to the people and to Ahab? __________
4.  Who all did Elijah invited to Mt. Carmel?
5.  What challenge did Elijah offer?
6.  Did the people agree that this was a good idea? 

No comments: