Saturday, May 23, 2015

Shadrach-The Golden Statue that Amazed Babylon

By Mary Vee
Daniel 3

From Shadrach's Journal


My friends and I have lived in Babylon for a little while. We're not Babylonians. We are Hebrews who were born in the land of Judah. 

Daniel, Meshach, Abednego, and I, along with other kids from Hebrew royal and noble families, met the standard given by King Nebuchadnezzar. He said he wanted all the young boys who proved the smartest and had the physical looks best for his kingdom.

I guess you could say we were the lucky ones. We didn't have to suffer the cruelty given by the soldiers when they captured the rest of our people and dragged them here with chains. I should be thankful. Still, my friends and I often talk of home, our foods, our language, our way of doing things.

Daniel scored the highest of all of us and was given a job in King Nebuchadnezzar's court. He asked the king to give Meshach, Abednego, and me a good job as well. The king was so pleased with Daniel that he agreed. We don't see Daniel very often, but at least we have our friendship with each other.

Recently, workers began building something in the plain of Dura. We couldn't tell what is was for a long time. It was made of gold, only nine feet wide, but ninety feet high (taller than an eleven story building). The structure began to take shape after a while. Meshach figured out what it was suppose to be first. The structure was a statue of King Nebuchadnezzar.

When the workers finished the statue the Babylonians cheered. They gathered around it and admired the workmanship. 

The day to dedicate the image came. Men and women dressed in their best clothes. Their children came too, wearing their very best. 

Satraps, prefects, governors, advisers, treasurers, judges, magistrates, and all the other provincial officials came together for the dedication of the statue. Every single Babylonian man who had any job with the king stood in the group.

The sun shone on the land. Not a cloud hung in the sky.

A herald stood on the platform and shouted, "This is what you are commanded to do. O peoples, nations, and men of every language." 

I had a feeling right then, that there would be trouble. Abednego looked at Meshach and me. "He said all peoples, nations, and men of every language. That includes us."

"Let's hear what else he says first," said Abednego.

"I agree," I said. "Maybe it won't be so bad."

"You really think so, Shadrach?" asked Meshach.

"No." I shook my head. "I can only hope."


What do you think will happen? Come next Wednesday to read more of the story.

*********************************************************************************************

1.  Why was Shadrach and his friends in Babylon?
2.  Who were Shadrach's friends?
3.  Why wasn't Daniel with them?
4.  Why did King Nebuchadnezzar choose them?
5.  What was being built in the plain of Dura in the province of Babylon?

No comments: