Wednesday, May 6, 2015

Jeremiah- Tired and Proud of the People's Request

By Mary Vee
Jeremiah 40, II Kings 25



From Jeremiah's Journal


Photo Courtesy - Egypt
My name is Jeremiah. I am a prophet, a person sent from God to give messages to the Israelites who still live in Jerusalem.

I am tired. And so are all the people walking as prisoners with me. 

The evil Ishmael and his army took us all as captives. He first killed the kind governor who was in charge over us and thousands of others. Then, because he was afraid Nebuchadnezzar's army would capture him and kill him for what he did, he escaped and took us as prisoners with him.

Guess where he wanted to take us. He wanted to take us to Egypt of all places!

God sent Johanan and his army to come rescue us. He had to chase us all the way to the great pool in Gibeon before he caught up. We all cheered when we saw him and ran to Johanan's side. 

Ismael, though, turned and ran away before Johanan captured him. Hah!

Johanan removed all our chains and said he would help us to return home. After we rested, the people came to me and said, "Jeremiah, please hear our request and pray to the Lord your God for us. You can see we were once many and now are only a few. Please pray that the Lord your God will tell us where we should go and what we should do."

Their request touched my heart, and I'm sure it touched God's as well. I said, "I will certainly pray to the Lord your God as you have requested. I will tell you everything the Lord says and won't keep any part of His message back from you."

The people said, "We want to act as the Lord says. May He judge us if we don't. No matter what the Lord says, we will obey Him, so that it will go well with us. We will obey the Lord our God."

So I prayed to the Lord as the people asked. Here is what the Lord said, "If you stay in this land, I will build you up and not tear you down. I will make sure you can stay in your homes. Don't be afraid of the king of Babylon. I know he scares you, but I am with you and will save you. I will deliver you from his hands. I will show you compassion by causing him to have compassion on you and will restore you to your land."

"If you disobey me and choose to live in Egypt, then you will be overtaken. Famine and the sword will overtake you in Egypt and there you will die.

And now I will wait to see what the people will decide.

Come back to see what happened next.
*********************************************************************************************

1.  Why was Jeremiah and the people traveling with him tired?
2.  Why did Ishmael want to go to Egypt?
3.  Who saved the people?
4.  What did the people ask Jeremiah to do?
5.  What instruction did God give?



No comments: