Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Elijah Says Goodbye to Elisha part 2

By Mary Vee
II Kings 2

From Elisha's Journals

Elijah stood by me at the shore of the Jordan River. Elijah took his coat, rolled it up and struck the water with it. The water divided, leaving a path for us to cross to the other side. I looked down and saw the bed of the river, the very soil which a moment ago had river waters  moving across, felt dry on my feet."

Again, as I had so many times before, when standing near Elijah, I marveled at this prophet's faith, and God's provision, wishing I could have such faith.

We stepped onto the shore of the other side and went no farther. Elijah turned to me, "Elisha, tell me, what can I do for you before I'm taken from you?"

Sure there were about a million things I could have said, but only one request tugged at my heart. "Let me inherit a double portion of your spirit."

Elijah's eyebrows raised. He stroke his beard and shook his head. "You have asked a difficult thing. Yet, if you see me when I am taken from you, it will be yours. If you don't see me when I go, your request will not come true."

I knew. Even after only serving with Elijah this short time that he was not a magical person or that he had special powers to grant me wishes. What this great prophet had was the very relationship God asks of all His children. Elijah had spent so many days speaking with the Almighty, learning His ways, seeking to understand Him, that God freely spoke through Elijah.

This was God granting me my request--if I obeyed Him and stayed close to the prophet who trained me to the very end.

Elijah stepped forward, continuing our journey. I didn't know where we were going. I didn't really care. I only wanted to learn more about God and what He expected from His servant. 

We came to a hill. Suddenly a chariot of fire and horses of fire appeared and separated us. A whirlwind swirled around Elijah and lifted him to the heavens.

I raised my hands and cried out, "My father! My father! The chariots and horsemen of Israel!" And then Elijah was gone. Just like that. 

I stood alone.

I pressed my hand on my chest and wept. When I opened my eyes I saw Elijah's coat on the ground. I walked back in the direction we came, because I didn't know what else to do. I stood at the bank of the Jordan, pulled Elijah's coat off of my back and hit the water with it.

"Where are You, Lord, the God of Elijah?"

As Elijah's coat slapped the water, the river divided, opening a path for me. I walked across the river bed to the side where the prophets waited and watched.

The fifty men came to me and bowed. The leader said, "The spirit of Elijah is resting on Elisha."

************************************
photo courtesy of visualbiblealive.com

1.  What did Elijah do with his coat. 
2.  What happened to the Jordan River.
3.  When Elijah and Elisha walked on the far shore of the river what did Elijah ask Elisha?
4.  What was Elisha's answer?
5.  When Elijah answered him, was Elijah the one giving Elisha what he asked?
6.  After walking a short ways, what did Elisha see?
7.  What happened to Elijah?
8.  What happened to his coat?
9.  What did the 50 prophets say when Elisha came back?

No comments: