Saturday, October 5, 2013

Elijah Says Good Bye to Elisha part 1

By Mary Vee
II Kings 2


From Elisha's Scrolls


I have trained under the prophet Elijah and have learned more than I could have ever asked. The Lord has truly poured his goodness upon this man.

On this day, Elijah and I walked on the road from Gilgal to Bethel, a short journey to the south. He stopped and said to me, "Stay here, Elisha. The Lord has sent me to Bethel."

In truth I didn't want to miss anything. Who knows what I could learn. I had dedicated my life to follow in the steps of Elijah, willing and ready to do God's will. I said to him "As surely as the Lord lives, and as you live, I will not leave you."

Elijah did the work in Bethel, directed by God. While there a group of prophets came to me and said softly, "Do you know that the Lord is going to take your master from you today?"

I nodded. Feeling sad about the situation. "Yes, I know, but please don't talk about it."

Elijah called me over to him and said, "Stay here, Elisha, the Lord has sent me to Jericho."

I felt very determined to not leave him. "As surely as the Lord lives and as you lie, I will not leave you." We walked to Jericho to the north.

While in Jericho, a group of prophets from that city came to me and said, "Do you know that the Lord is going to take your master from you today?"

Again the Lord spoke through the prophets. "Yes. I know, thank you. But please do not speak of it."

Elijah nodded for me to come over to him. "Elisha, Stay here. The Lord has sent me to the Jordan River."

The sun had moved far in the sky, there wasn't much left of the day. I couldn't leave him now. "As surely as the Lord lives and as you live, I will not leave you." We walked to the Jordan. 

I looked back and saw the prophets from Jericho following us but keeping a reasonable distance.

I want to tell you the whole story. What is to come next is exciting but will take another post to tell you. Come back to hear what happened next.

*******************************************

photo courtesy of christianimagesource.com

1. Elisha and Elijah first went to ____________.
2. On the way there, Elijah told Elisha to ____________
3. Next they went to ______________
4. Prophets came to Elisha and told him ___________
5. Next Elisha and Elijah went to ________________
6. Why didn't Elisha want to stay back like Elijah told him to?

No comments: