Saturday, September 7, 2013

Isn't There One Prophet of the Lord?

By Mary Vee
I Kings 22

From Jehoshaphat's Scrolls

I had asked King Ahab if there was not a prophet of the Lord whom we could ask our question. He had called his prophets of Baal and the answer they gave did not seem right to me. 

Ahab said, "There is still one man through whom we can ask a question of the Lord, but I hate him because he never prophesies anything good about me. Only bad. His name is Micaiah."

I sighed. "Ahab, you shouldn't say such things."

"Fine." Ahab puffed his chest forward. "I'll show you." He turned to the guards standing nearby. "Guard, bring Micaiah to me at once."

When he arrived, the guards brought Micaiah to us right away.

Ahab slouched back in his chair as if he knew the answer to his question before asking. "Micaiah, shall we go to war against Ramoth Gilead, or shall I refrain?"

Micaiah didn't wait a moment. Rather he shrugged and said, "Attack and be victorious for the Lord will give it into your hands."

Ahab slammed his fist on the throne. "How many times must I make you promise to tell me nothing but the truth in the name of the Lord?"

Micaiah drew a deep breath. His face showed he knew the answer before he came to Ahab's chambers. He clearly had spoken with the Lord before he entering the palace. He said, "I saw all Israel scattered on the hills like sheep without a shepherd, and the Lord said, 'These people have no master. Let each one go home in peace.'"

Ahab's face turned red with rage. He turned to me and slammed his fist on the throne again. "Didn't I tell you he never prophesies anything good about me, only bad?"

Micaiah continued speaking. "Hear the word of the Lord. I saw the Lord sitting on his throne with all the host of heaven standing around him on this right and left side. The Lord said, 'Who will talk Ahab into attacking Ramoth Gilead and going to his death there?'

"One suggested this, and another that. Finally, a spirit came forward and stood before the Lord. It said, 'I will talk him into attacking.'

"The Lord asked, 'How will you do this?'

"'I will go out and be a lying spirit in the mouths of all his prophets,' he answered.

"'You will succeed in doing so,' said the Lord. 'Go and do it.'

"And now the Lord has put a lying spirit in the mouths of all these prophets of yours. The Lord has decreed disaster for you."

Ahab's fist balled tighter. He stood and pointed at Micaiah. "Take this man and send him back to Amon and to Joash, the king's son and say, 'King Ahab decrees you should put this man in prison and give him nothing but bread and water until I return safely.'"

The guards grabbed Micaiah arms. Micaiah turned back to the king and shouted, "If you ever return safely, the Lord has not spoken through me. Mark my words, all you people."

The guards hauled him out of the room.

So, which is telling the truth? Come back next week to see.

****************************************
Photo courtesy of christianimagesource.com

1. Jehoshaphat asked for ______________________ to answer Ahab's question.
2. King Ahab didn't want to ask Micaiah to come because Ahab __________________
3. What did Ahab ask Micaiah?
4. What did Micaiah answer?
5. Did Ahab listen?
6. What happened to Micaiah?

No comments: