Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Ahab asks Jehoshaphat to Join HIm in Battle

By Mary Vee
I Kings 22


From Jehoshaphat's Scrolls


I last wrote you more than a month ago. But, like I said in those words, you needed to know what my brother, King Ahab, ruler of the other ten tribes had done. 

My spies have kept me posted about the prophet Elijah's challenge against Ahab and Jezebel's prophets. Did they really think the Baal would win over the one true God?

Ahab's news about the victorious battle with Ben Hadad, king of Aram and his poor choice to steal Naboth's vineyard tells us that Ahab didn't learn any thing from Elijah's great proof of God's power.

Still, he is my brother. A Hebrew and ruler of the ten tribes of Israel. And though the two tribes that I rule have been left separate, we, the two tribes in Judah, continue to choose to worship God. We aren't perfect. There are those who worship false gods even in my territory, but I work to prevent it. 

I decided to visit Ahab to see how he was doing. Perhaps help him choose to worship God instead of Baal. He invited me into his chamber and served me a grand meal made from sheep and cattle. He raised his glass and toasted me in front of all who sat at the table. 

He told me about his current plans, wanting me to help with an attack against Ramoth Gilead.

"Jehoshaphat, don't you know that Ramoth Gilead belongs to us and yet we are doing nothing to retake it from the king of Aram? Will you go with me to fight agains Ramoth Gilead?"

Ah, I see, he still wants to conquer Ben Hadad and needs my help. "I am as you are, my people as your people, my horses as your horses. Before I agree to help, though, you will need to first seek the counsel of the Lord. I want to know if the Lord has approved this battle."

Ahab nodded and called for his guards. "Bring me the prophets, the four hundred men who serve me."

Later that day the group gathered at the threshing floor at the gate of Samaria, where Ahab and I sat on thrones, dressed in our kingly robes. He ordered their silence and spoke, "Shall I go to war against Ramoth Gilead, or shall I refrain?"

The men didn't take time to think, they didn't call on God for his answer. Instead they answered right away. "Go, for the Lord will give Ramoth Gilead into your hands."

One of the prophets, Zedekiah, did not speak with the others. He stood there holding iron horns. When the other prophets silenced, he spoke. "This is what the Lord says, 'With these you will attack the Arameans until they are destroyed."

Ahab smiled and looked to the other prophets to see if they agreed with him.

The other prophets quickly nodded and shouted, "Attack Ramoth Gilead and be victorious for the Lord will give it into your hands."

Something didn't seem right to me. The prophets seemed to anxious to answer. They didn't go away and speak with the Lord. I turned to Ahab. "Is there not a prophet of the Lord here whom we can ask?"

Come back next time to see what happens.

*********************************
Photo courtesy of christianimagesource.com

1. Jehoshaphat is king of _______________
2. Ahab is king of _____________________
3. Ahab didn't worship ____________ as Jehoshaphat.
4. When Jehoshaphat visited Ahab, Ahab asked Jehoshaphat to help him __________.
5. Ahab's enemy _____________ ruled Ramoth Gilead
6. Jehoshaphat assured Ahab that they were brothers, sharing everything. But before he agreed to help Ahab, Jehoshaphat asked him to seek counsel from ___________."
7. Ahab agreed and called for _________________
8. After hearing the suggestions, Jehoshaphat agreed/did not agree. Which is correct?



No comments: