Wednesday, May 24, 2017

Philip - The Day Jesus Found Me

By Mary Vee
John 1



From the Apostle Philip's Notes



The area of Bethsaida. A community where those in need
could use these stones to grind if they didn't have one
at home. This was a marketplace where fishermen sold
their daily catch. A place where people came for food.
Photo by Mary Vee
My name is Philip. For those who have read through the Scriptures, you will know that there isn't much written about my life. That's because I am a quiet, behind the scenes kind of person.

I was working the day a man came to me. I didn't know who he was.

He stopped as if he wanted to speak to me personally. I was curious so I set aside my work and waited for him to speak.

The man simple said, "Follow me."

On the inside of my head I should have sensed caution, but I didn't. I didn't know this man, and yet he intrigued me. I became curious, wanting to know more about him. 

I saw two other men with the stranger. They were fishermen I recognized from my home town. Brothers named, Peter and Andrew. These were hard working men. They seemed confident in connecting with this man. Peter and Andrew practically blurted at the same time, "This is the One we've been looking for. The Messiah."

The man spoke, "I am Jesus from Nazareth." 

I listened to him for a short time. It didn't take much for me to see this man was different. He was someone I wanted to listen to.

I'd heard about the carpenter Joseph and his son Jesus. This was that son, now a man. I didn't have to hear any more. Somehow, in my heart, I knew that this man truly was the one. I hardly knew what to say other than, "Do you mind if I find my friend and bring him to you?"

He acted as if He knew I would ask.

I ran as fast as I could searching in all the normal spots for my friend Nathanael. Friends always tell friends about good things. He had to believe me. I looked at his house. I searched where he worked. Where was he?

Finally found him sitting under a fig tree taking a break from the heat. "Nathanael. Get up. I have someone you need to meet."

"Why?" He didnt move. "I'm comfortable here." 

Unbelievable. I didn't want to miss the chance to take Nathanael to meet Jesus. "Look, I saw Peter and Andrew."

"So?"

"They were with this man."

"What man?"

I rolled my eyes. "The man I want to show you." I ran my hand over my beard and laughed. The most amazing thing happened. We have found the one Moses wrote about in the Law. The one whom the prophets also wrote. His name is Jesus of Nazareth, the son of Joseph."

Nathanael shook his head in total disbelief. "You've got to be kidding me. I'm not going anywhere. Can anything good come from Nazareth? And you want me to meet this Jesus who is from Nazareth?"

I folded my arms and dipped my head. "I guess you will have to come and see for yourself. What would it hurt. If I'm right, you will be a surprised as I was. If I'm wrong you get to make fun of me."

"Oh, all right. I guess I could come." He stood. "You better not be wrong."

"Oh, I won't be," I said. I took off at a sprint, expecting Nathanael to keep up. 

I got to thinking as I ran. Why did Jesus choose to talk to me when there were so many other people around. I'm nothing special. 

I guess I'll have to ask.


Come back for the next story.

*********************************************************************************************


sources: 
*A Harmony of the Gospels for Historical Study, An Analytical Synopsis of the Four Gospels by William Arnold Stevens and Ernest DeWitt Burton, Charles Scribner's Sons, New York 1932
*New International Version, New King James Version. 
*My Bible College training.
*My notes and walk through classes I've taught in Children's church. Answers to student questions, etc.
*Pastoral sermons on this time
*Matthew Henry Commentary
*F. LaGard Smith Commentary

Jewish History.org
*Jewish Virtual Library.org

*My research in Israel.

No comments: