Saturday, November 23, 2013

Elisha-God Foils the Enemy's Plan

By Mary Vee
II Kings 6:8


From A Spy in the Israelite Army's Journal


This event which I am about to share with you causes me to laugh just thinking about it. It proves God's sense of humor.

The king of Aram started a war with my country, the Israelites. Usually I had the job to go to the other camp and listen for their plans. This time, the king of Israel did not send me. 

The prophet Elisha sent a message to the king warning him to beware of passing by a certain place because the Arameans were going down there. 

The king of Israel sent a unit to check on the place mentioned in the note.

The next day, the prophet Elisha sent a similar message warning the king of the Arameans location. Each time the king followed through by checking on the location and held his guard.

The king sent me to spy on the Arameans to see what they were saying about having their plans ruined. I ran there and found a nice place to hide near where I could hear their king speaking. The tent filled with his officers. The king said, "We obviously have a spy in our midst. Which of you is telling the king of Israel our plans?

One of the officers answered, "None of us, my lord. Elisha, the prophet who is in Israel tells the king of Israel the very words you speak in your bedroom."

I had to cover my mouth to keep from laughing.

The king of Aram screamed, "Go find out where he is so I can send men and capture him."

I ran back and reported what I heard to the king of Israel. He sent me back to gather more information. 

The officers returned to the king of Aram's tent the next day and reported. "The prophet is in Dothan."

The king laughed. "We have him now. Send horses and chariots and my strongest army there and bring him to me."

The army went by night and surrounded the city. Unbelievable, they actually think this plan will work when none of the other had? Hah!

Still, I wanted to warn Elisha. I took a short-cut and hurried near where Elisha lived. The next morning I saw Elisha's servant step out from where they stayed. He could see from their high place the Aramean army had surrounded the city. He cried to Elisha, "Oh, my lord, what shall we do?

Elisha stepped out and stood next to his servant. My warning had come too late. Elisha turned to his prophet and said, "Don't be afraid. Those who are with us are more than those who are with them."

I don't know about you, but this sure seemed confusing. I only saw Elisha and his servant.

Elisha raised his hands toward heaven and prayed, "O Lord, open his eyes so he may see." 

The servant rubbed his eyes and looked toward the hills all around the city. "My lord, I see a great army of angels with horses and chariots made of fire. They are ready to protect us." The servant rubbed his eyes and laughed. 

The enemy shouted and their army moved forward to capture Elisha. 

Elisha prayed to the Lord, "Strike these people with blindness." I had learned from times in the past that the Lord put in Elisha's heart what He wants him to do. 

Moments later the entire Aramean army had been struck down with blindness.

Isn't that amazing?

Come back to read what happened next….there is more to this story of God's mighty power against the foolish Aramean army.

****************************************************
photo courtesy of visualbiblealive.com

1. Who went to battle against the Israelites?
2. How did the Israelites know about each battle plan?
3. King Aram became angry with Elisha and sent his army to ______________.
4. Elisha's servant saw the army and became ___________
5. Elisha prayed and asked God to do what for the servant?
6. When the Aramean army moved to capture Elisha, what did Elisha ask God to do? 

No comments: